Friday, July 16, 2004

I have a dirty secret to share.  I’m afraid to say it, but this burning secret cannot be held much longer.  I just have to tell someone.  When I am driving alone in my car, I love to listen to bad euro-disco.  There is a small station in Seattle, run by highschool kids and barley powerful enough to get a signal past the city limits, which plays a constant mix of thumping house, drum & bass, and yes even remixed ABBA.  For me, it makes the traffic on a grey Seattle day disappear and transforms my drab commute into my own private rave.
 
There, I said it.
 
You know, you could tell a lot about a person by what they have programmed on their car radio.  A mini snapshot of who they are.  Since we are here, let’s take a look at what else I have on pre-set.

#1 Disco Station (already covered that one)
#2 KEXP. THE cool indie music station check them out at
www.kexp.org
#3 NPR.  Yes, I’m a fan of Garrison Kellor and This American Life.  Deal with it.
#4 Generic Corporate Classic Rock Station.  Every city has one of these; they carry syndicated Howard Stern and play old G-n-R for when you want to rock your mullet.
#5 Bizarre Rock Station Run by Burn Outs, Stoners, and Chimps on Crack.  Good for getting your Mtv mindless skateboard rock fix.
#6 Generic Corporate “Alternative” Rock Station.  Oh look how cool I am, I’m jamming to the latest angry young band dujour and old school REM in my car!  Look!  Look!  I’m not a dull thirty something!  I’m hip, really I am!!
 
So there you have it.   Draw your own conclusions.