Wednesday, September 22, 2004

My Den Mother, A Dominatrix?

Dear Monk,

Have you ever noted a trend in Eagle Scouts being likely to be tops
that love rope bondage? I know only a little about the kink community, but I know of several Eagle Scouts like this.-d


An excellent question! Being a former eagle scout myself I would have to wonder the same thing. Are Eagle scouts more likely to become kinky? That would explain a lot. Like why my big burly scout master “Carl” is now known as “Carlotta”... but that is a story for another day. I know that personally I had a very strong affinity to activities like mountaineering and climbing when I was a scout. I was the guy they called whenever something needed to be lashed together. Did that give me a predisposition to being a rope top? Probably not, I discovered the joys of tying up girls much later in life; just call me a late bloomer I guess.

After asking several of the rope tops I respect I came to this consensus. Most, if not all, had some kind of scouting experience. Now this is not conclusive evidence. Ask just about any male between the ages of 25-45 and you will find that most of them had some kind of scouting experience. Of this group, I’m the only one who stuck it out to get the rank of Eagle (that would be the highest rank in scouting for those of you playing along at home). Most left scouting to pursue things like sailing or rock climbing. Again rope related activated so maybe there is some kind of link, but not a strong one. I even went as far as to ask some female rope tops, they too had some early involvement in outdoor organizations like camp fire and the girl scouts.

Another interesting side note, most of the really good rope tops out there have something to do with the tech industry. Programmers, coders, dba, network administrators, you name it they all have had some kind of work in that field. Perhaps there is a link between the problem solving techie and the technical aspects of rope?

So the larger question would be, do scouts make better rope tops? In the words of bondage instructor extraordinaire Max, “If a person knew the 6 knots needed to pass tenderfoot they would be miles ahead of most tops”