Monday, September 06, 2004

One from the mailbags.
Good Morning, Monk,
I have a question that I hope you will answer. I've been dying to ask it, but didn't really know how to put it, and this morning, it occurred to me that I should just ask it.
I was looking at your blog this morning, at the picture of you 'in action'. I've looked at the picture before, but I've not really studied it with great intensity until now. See, I had the page scrolled down, and all that was showing was the girl and your hands. I noticed something about her hands, but couldn't quite put my finger on it, and so I was studying it very closely, trying to figure out what it was. Anyway, that's neither here nor there, I'm only trying to illustrate how I came to the conclusion that I should just ask and get it over with.
Normally, when you see someone being tied and suspended, they are tiny girls, like the perfect Asian bondage models. I'm not just talking about the models, though, I am also referring to the girls I have seen in bondage demos and workshops. They're always tiny. But the girl in the photo doesn't look tiny. So that brings me to the question. Can those of us who aren't in the single digit sizes be suspended with rope bondage?
Thanks,
W

Well W, you guessed right, the woman in the photo is not your typical girl you see in suspension demos or photos. Jules, the girl in the photo, is a sexy curvy gal who reminds me a lot of a girl you might see in a Russ Meyer film. She went up in rope just fine.

Granted, most of the girls you see in photos or demos are tiny. Tiny girls tend to be more flexible and phycically adept to the demands of suspension. Remember that for a bottom, suspension can be very physically demanding. I will not do certain suspension scenes with someone till I have played with them enough to know they have the needed endurance. That said, you do not have to be a size 2 tri-athlete to be suspended. You just need to be aware of the limitations.

You if you are a big girl and want me to hang you up, suspended upside down by one ankle? Nope, probably not the wisest idea. Now you want to be tied to a bamboo pole and then be suspended from that? Now you’re talking.

From a technical standpoint, most folks use a thicker line on the body when doing suspension. I like to use an 8mm wide line for all my suspensions. The thicker line is stronger and helps distribute the weight more evenly across the body. Now on a smaller girl I might only use a 30 ft section of line around her hips. This should create a section 6 to 8 inches wide across her hips where most of her body weight will soon sit. On larger bodies, or bodies that are new to suspension, I use twice that length in order to create a wider saddle for her to lie in.

Another thing I may do is use more than one mount point. This also helps to distribute the weight. I have seen photos from Bridgett where she suspended a 300 pound guy using over 2 dozen mount points!

Of course it goes with out saying that before one attempts this sort of thing they go out and get the proper training. If you are in the Seattle area I would strongly encourage you to seek out Max for classes. I believe he is starting a new season of classes this October.

So don’t be blue, you too can experience the bliss of suspension bondage.