Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Singles...

Ok, I’ll admit it; I’m an i-tunes whore. When Tambo first got her i-pod I furrowed my brow and said something derogatory about those “arty mac snobs…” Then I borrowed it for long road trip, and fell in love. Having now bought one myself, I just have to say that i-tunes is quite possibly one of the best (and most addictive) things on the web. Like 99 cent crack fixes. Hear a song on KEXP? Hunt it down and buy the fucker with a click. No fuss, no muss, and best NO waiting… dangerous.

Most recent i-tunes finds.

Public Enemy & Moby, “Make Love, Fuck War”
Regardless of whom you decide to vote for this November, you have to be amazed at the groundswell of artists and activists coming forward and creating politically fueled art. Besides, Chuck D is the man. If we were in prison, I’d so be his bitch.

Bowling For Soup, “1985”
Talk about the polar opposite, light hearted emo punk with a silly sense of humor. Best line of the song? “…she was gonna be an actress, she was gonna be a star. She was gonna shake her ass on the hood of Whitesnake’s car.”

U2, “Vertigo”
New U2! Oh hell yeah! I have been a fan since “Joshua Tree”. How can you not like these guys? Bono can rock out AND address the UN?

Green Day, “American Idiot”
Yep, more angry anti establishment, political punk rock. Who knew that the guys who’s first single was about masturbation would grow up and have something intelligent to say about politics?

The Killers, “Somebody Told Me”
Ahh, my Achilles’ heel. Guitar fueled, power punk. Disposable rock music with a driven beat and a fat, killer hook. Just the kind of music you want thumping away on your i-pod when you are walking down town.

Nada Surf, “Blonde on Blonde”
Agian with the opposites. A gentle heartfelt ballad, so simple with its single guitar yet lyrically powerful and really addictive. Tambo and I sing this to each other during those quiet moments when we are alone.

Now if they would just carry some Indian bhagrah music so I can get my Bollywood musical fix, then all would be good.