Monday, October 25, 2004

So it is Tambo’s birthday this week so I thought I would spend some time this week talking her and just why she makes my world such a cool place to be in.

Cool things about my cool partner

Among her many talents, music is one of her strongest. This girl has a gift, she can pick up an instrument and just play. Our house is littered with instruments, congas, guitars, strange African thumb organs, and of course her cello. Tambo is a classically trained concert cellist and has performed professionally with the symphony. And, no we are not talking the local grange hall folks, think BIG concert hall, black ties, and guest conductors from all over the world kinda symphonies.

In fact, when we were still in college and too poor to afford tickets to see said shows, I would dress all in black and would follow her back stage before the show, slipping past the security by carrying her instrument case for her. Once inside I would lay low till show time and then slip into an open seat.

While I am very proud of her pro days, I must say that this is not my best musical memory of her. No that would be one from when we were still in High School. Like I said, she is a musical omnivore and played in everything. Symphonies, jazz band, even the marching band. Of course her specialty was playing stringed instruments, like the violin or the cello or the upright bass. Ever see one of those on the ball field at half time? Nope, me either. Rather, somehow she convinced them to let her on the filed with an electric bass.

Now picture if you will, Tambo on the field, dressed in her ridiculous marching band costume, you know the one with the big hat and stripes, with an electric bass strapped across her shoulder. Oh, what about power and an amp you ask? Well that would be the guy standing behind her with a giant car battery and amplifier on a hand truck. His job was to wheel this contraption along behind her, staying close enough so she she would stay plugged in and yet far enough as to not run into her as they also did all the half time show choreography.

Talented, beautiful and ever so slightly bent… that’s my girl.