Thursday, November 04, 2004

A question of width.

A reader writes:

I was looking at your web site but I didn't see a discussion about
the differences between 6mm and 8mm rope. Can you elaborate?


Short answer, it all depends on what you want to do with it.

When I first started tying, I used exclusively 6 mm rope. Back then I did mostly elaborate body harness work. Rope corsets, karata harnesses, and the like. Limb binding and restraint was almost an after thought. The main goal was to “dress” the bottom in rope. To wrap them in layer upon layer of hemp and create very intricate harnesses. Now traditionalists will argue that 6mm is the only rope you should use for this style of bondage. The thinner rope allows for more intricate wraps and lays better when you have multiple ropes on a body part. Also, it is less bulky so you can do more complex weaves and knot designs with the rope. In those days, my rope bag was almost exclusively 6mm.

Eventually As I found myself doing more and more suspension scenes, more and more 8mm rope found its way into my bag. The first reason would be safety. While there is no official load rating for hemp, conventional wisdom is such that the thicker, more dense the rope the stronger it is. Additionally, using a wider rope means that I need to use less of it on a body part while still creating a wide, comfortable suspension point. You can do suspension with 6mm rope, I have done it lots. You just need to account for the thinner rope and use more of it. Both on the body and to the suspension point.

Lastly, 8mm is great for what I like to call “impromptu bondage”. Want to quickly bind a lover to the bed posts or do a take down scene? 8mm rope is much more forgiving in that department. There is less need to be anal and lay every wrap of rope just so, rather you can grab a handful of rope and go, “Wrist, meet bedpost. Bedpost, meet wrist!”

As I pack my rope back for Midori’s upcoming rope dojo, my rope bag is probably 60% 8mm and 40% 6mm. I should add that 4mm is starting to creep its way in to my bag these days too. I only have a few tiny pieces that I use for finger ties or hair bondage but look forward to seeing more of that in the days to come.