Monday, January 10, 2005

Snow Day

Snow in Seattle is a rare thing; we can go several years with out seeing the stuff so when it does happen the whole city seems to slow down to a crawl for one day. People don’t drive in it, shops close for the day, everyone just seems to take the day off from their everyday routine and enjoy the rarity of the event.

Pale white light seeps thought the shades above where we sleep. “What the fuck time is it anyways?” I think. Last thing I remember was her collapsing in my arms as the sun just started to creep into the sky… three maybe four hours ago? I can hear voices in the house, her primary and his lover are stirring somewhere in the huge house. Perhaps I should get up and say hello and be sociable? Acknowledge their presence at least… no, the pull of her warm body next to mine is too great. Somewhere across the city, Tambo is kissing her lover goodbye as snow starts to blanket the city. As I curl myself around Dancer’s naked form I wince in pain, the thumbprint sized cutting on my chest burns hot as I press it against the flesh of her back.

Confused? Last night started out simply enough. Dancer’s primary partner, Sir, had a play date scheduled that night. Jumping on the chance to spend another night with my lover, I set about planning a date with Dancer for that night too. But what of dear Tambo you ask? Well as fate would have it, Tambo’s lover, The Crush, was in town that weekend and free on Saturday night as well.

I stir again, this time to the sounds of kids playing outside, racing against the sun to take advantage of the scant few inches of snow before it all melts away. A quick peek out the window tells me that the sun is soon to win that race. Dancer stirs and opens her deep brown eyes to me; even just waking up she is magnificent to look at. Grudgingly we rise and leave the warm cocoon of the bed. The house is empty, save a note passed under our door that reads, “Kisses, (not to you Monk, you only get hugs *smile*), out to breakfast. Sir”. The clock reads 1pm as we wander downstairs to the kitchen

I place a quick call to Tambo as Dancer makes me some coffee. I sigh and smile as she answers the phone. That first moment of re-connection is always the sweetest. That moment of reassurance and gratitude for their love and trust. We give each other the briefest of reports about our nights.
“Have fun?” I ask.
“Tons, you?” She responds with a giggle.
“Oh man did I ever.” I respond.
“So… did you get cut?” She asks with exited curiosity.
Taking a deep sigh I tell her, “Yeah, I can’t wait to show you the scar. Wow just wow…”

Just as the coffee is ready Sir and his lover walk up the drive, hand in hand. Tambo will soon be joining us at the house too. She is greeted with hugs and smiles as we all lounge about the living room, not yet wanting the moment to end. Over coffee we laugh and compare notes. Sir’s lover and I compare marks, she has me beat hands down. Talk about a high capacity girl. Tambo asks in wonder for Sir to explain how he made one of them. With a chuckle he obliges.

The snow is now almost completely gone as we make our way to the car. Hugs swapped, and promises to e-mail exchanged, we all part ways. Tambo and I will now make our way to our favorite little Mexican place and talk for hours about the events of our night, but before we do we kiss and thank each other for being so damn cool.

I tell folks that being poly is not for everyone. Having multiple lovers means lots of work and sometimes-painful emotional lessons must be learned. However, when it works…when all the pieces seem to click, well it is a thing of wonder. Much like looking outside after the first snowfall. That magical moment when the time just sort of slows down and the sun shines a bit brighter outside, the details of the everyday world lay covered (if but temporarily) in a seamless blanket of white.

p.s. I’ll talk about the cutting tomorrow. Right now I just want to cherish the moment a wee bit longer.