Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Doppelganger

There is an impostor in our home. As I type this I can see it watching me.

I have often joked that Tambo’s cello is her secondary partner. Since well before I first met and courted her, she had a relationship with it. She has lugged her instrument to countless rehearsals and thousands of recital halls. Its well-worn hundred plus year old wood has been part of our home for almost 20 years. Even when she was not actively playing, it was still a presence. Waiting patently for her to return.

Till this week when she took it in to be appraised and repaired. They offered her a loaner cello so she could still practice. It has sat untouched in her practice room now for days.

It just feels wrong.

Tambo describes the sensation like this, “You know in those sci-fi films where the hero comes home to find their spouse is not really who they think they are? They may look the same and sound the same but really they are like a clone or an alien? That is what it feels like”

Funny, I don’t even play the thing and I have to agree with her.