Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Regarding Rigging

Dear Monk,

I am an avid reader of your blog and love seeing all the lovely women you hang up every week at the Abbey. I am just starting up as a rope top and would love to learn suspension bondage. Will you teach me?

Namaste,
Reed


No.

While I love to show folks knots and try to de-mystify rope bondage as a fun and accessible kink, I draw the line at suspension. Now most bondage is very safe (with some obvious safety precautions taken into account of course!) however as soon as you get someone’s weight off the ground and supported in rope (or have the potental for that, i.e. partal suspension), it is a whole other matter. Suspension bondage is fantastic, dramatic and VERY dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. Truth be told, I’m a far better rope maker than I am a rigger, yet. I love to do it and believe that I do it safely, I however still have a lot left to learn and have not logged NEARLY the hours required to properly teach it. No, for that you need to seek out folks like Max at bondagelessons.com for that sort of instruction. Here is someone who has spent more hours under a hard point that most of us have had hot meals.

I'm happy to sell you the rope, he is the one to ask about hanging someone upside down. I still seek out his advice on the topic.