Thursday, April 21, 2005

There are days I hate this job, days when the dye seems to stick more to me than the rope. Days when my hands, cut and swollen, feel like claws after whipping a hundred ends of rope.

Then there are days like today. Days when the golden light of the sun warms the Abbey. Days when we just click, the rope rolls off the spools and through my hands with ease. Of course the sun and the rope were not all that went well today. No today was also extra cool thanks to a phone order.

What is so special about a phone order you ask? Why yes, I get them all the time. In fact since the Savage Love article my phone has been ringing non-stop. No this phone order was special. You see, she wanted to buy rope but not online. No she wanted to buy it directly from me. So she called.

Oh did I mention that she called me from SPAIN? Yep. I took a phone order from Spain today from a woman with the sweetest accent you have ever heard. Let it be known that I have an accent fetish (one of MANY). I am a complete and total sucker for women who speak Castilian Spanish, that rich and buttery language that seems to roll of the tongue like naked lovers on velvet. She was giddy and nervous at first, but when she gave me her address her voice purred as she pronounced the “r”s.

When I told her that it would be three weeks till her order was ready she pouted and asked sweetly, “I would do anything to get it here by my birthday… is there any way that could happen?”

Oh child, never say, “I’d do anything” to a man like me…

Later, as I told Griffin about the call all he could do was smile and shake his head.
“Dude, that call sounds so hot, I think I’m getting sympathy wood”