Thursday, May 05, 2005

Bootmouse



Wednesday nights are the late ones at the Abbey. Griffin and I usually plan on being there from early morning till well after midnight. While long, they are also the most fun. Tambo and Galahad usually come down to help package and process the orders. Tonight Silk brought us dinner as well as a much appreciated (by me) Diet Rockstar. Now amongst all these wonderful folks working on your rope there is our dear mouse.

Her job is to make all our leather look pretty. Every Wednesday she stakes out a spot on the floor and we pile our jackets, chaps, shoes, clogs, boots, and even Galahads fighting tunic on her. She, with a huge smile, scrubs and oils and makes them look better than new.



If you have yet to have the pleasure of getting a proper boot blacking, well you are missing out. Sitting there finishing rope while someone sits at your feet, rubbing polish into your boots by hand and focused on making your boots look as black and menacing as possible. Well that has a certain Zen like charm all it’s own.

There are of course some drawbacks. Mouse scolds me about the state of my cycle boots every time she sees them. Seems that motorcycle boots, when worn by someone who rides a motorcycle every day, really don’t keep that fresh polished shine all that well. Oh and don’t get her started as to the state of my knee high Doc Martins! She was so worried that I would scratch the shine on them before the opening of SEAF that she gave the boots to Tambo with explicit instructions that I was to not put them on till just before we were to leave the house for the opening. (talk about bottoming to the bootmouse!)




So tonight when she came I suspended her upside-down… then I made her polish my boots.

Now remember kids, don't try inverted suspension at home with out getting proper instruction! Like from Max.