Sunday, May 22, 2005

“Is there anything I can do to help?”

When I am in the thick of the death-march days I hear this a lot. Heck, my ultra vanilla dad offered to come to the Abbey yesterday and help package rope. I’m very lucky to have folks who want to help me.

The thing is, we have done this enough to have our own rhythm. Sure there are always some tasks that we need help with, but for the most part Tambo, Galahad, and Griffin all know the drill all know their jobs better than I. (Heck, I know better than to get in the way when Galahad is armed with a shrink-wrapping gun.) We have a rhythm and when the music is cranked we move like a well-oiled machine.

The thing we are always battling, of course, it time. So to those who offer to help I usually tell them this.

“The most helpful thing you can do is to be patient and be here when it is all done.”

Of course bringing us meals always helps too.

The rope is wrapped and finished, just need to count it all and load it up. Griffin and I depart in less than 18 hours and there are still so many things to do.