Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Nerd!

Ok, I’ll admit it; I’m a sci-fi nerd. Seeing Star Wars on the big screen when I was 7 years old had a huge impact on me. Up till then I watched John Wayne movies and played with GI Joe dolls. After that, they never stood a chance. I wanted to be Luke Skywalker and wield a light saber.

Then he had to go and muck with my childhood.

Sure it was cool to have extra footage of the re-released films. Sure it is cool to now have them on DVD, but damnit. Han Solo shot first! Grr.

And then there is the whole matter of the new movies.
In a word, “disappointing”.
In two words, “disappointing and overdone”.
In 33 words, “Jesus George, what did you do write those scripts over a long weekend? Who is your dialogue coach? William Shatner? And Jar-Jar Binks? Oh you should burn in hell for that one!

Now with the release of Episode 3 tomorrow the whole thing is now complete. However I doubt that. Knowing Lucas he will re-release the mess in 5 years and make us all re-buy our childhoods all over again.

I fear that he has forever lost me. I’m looking more forward to the release of Sernity.

I do have a dark secret, the sci-fi I most adore, the king of all guilty pleasures? Dr. Who. I am so delighted to see that they have brought the good Dr. back to us. Of course I don’t have a TV so I can’t enjoy them yet. Must wait till they are released on DVD

However, if someone had copies of the new series they wanted to share… well then I would be a most happy nerd.