Monday, June 20, 2005

So after what feels like months of non-stop 7-day workweeks, what do I do when faced with a sunny Sunday with nothing to do?

Why wash my baby, Boris.



Boris was in dire need of a proper bath and polish. His chrome is starting to show signs of pitting and the leather seats in the sidecar are starting to crack in places, a sorry sight indeed. Boris, if you have not figured it out yet, is my motorcycle. Boris was built in the Ural Mountains of Russia and has been in my care now for almost 5 years. I was going to get a new Harley when I turned 30, but found Boris instead and have never regretted it for a second.

Why do I call my motorcycle “Boris”? Unlike the western tradition of endowing vessels with a feminine persona, in Russia they name their vehicles with masculine names. Why that name? Well you see, if this bike could talk he would sound just like the Russian florist from the TV show 6 Feet Under. “Boris have one speed, Boris’ speed. If Boris no want to go up hill fast, Boris no go up hill fast…

Certainly not the fastest bike on the road, he is the most fun. There is a unique charm in knowing that the pinstripes on my bike were, in fact, hand painted by an old Russian woman. I have some friends coming to Seattle for the first time and there is no better way to experience the sights, sounds and smells of this town in the summer than in the sidecar of a classic bike.

Curious what it is like to be in the sidecar? Tambo shot this short clip (2.8MB WMV), using her patented Blair Witch Camera Technology TM) while we dashed down to the store for fresh cantaloupes and ice cream.