Friday, July 29, 2005

There is a certain kind of magic that only happens in the still times of the late night. 2 am is probably my favorite time of day, that stillness when nothing is moving. The quiet, the darkness, that calm that settles over everything is just perfect in my opinion. It is in that stillness when I like to write.

So you can imagine my surprise when I stepped off the plane at midnight and stared up at the sun, still hanging low in the sky, but up none the less.

Welcome to the land of the midnight sun. Yes dear readers I’m in the far north today, Fairbanks Alaska to be exact. What am I doing here you ask? Is there some kink convention you have never heard of? Perhaps a gathering of erotic Eskimos? Nope, actually I’m here for a wedding. A vanilla wedding to be more precise, so no there are no rope bags in my room. No clandestine wedding scenes planed. No black leather or hankies hanging from my back pocket.

Why?

Simple, I’m a guest at the most important day of someone else’s life. Any kinkster worth their salt knows that there is a time and place for everything. Yes this is a free country and you should be able to express yourself however you wish, yes you should be proud of who you are and not hide it. However there is a time and a place for everything and weddings are stressful enough as it is. This is not a time for politics. This is not the place for debates on morality. No, this is about wishing the bride and groom many happy years.

This weekend I’m here to wish a family member good will, eat good food and help out where ever is needed. When anyone asks me what I do, I’ll smile and tell them that I work in “textile imports”.

Of course I will be wearing my kilt and tall boots. A boy can only "blend in" so much.