Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Artistic expression

Art and artistic expression have always played a role in my life. I have my mom to thank for that, since I was a little kid I was always creating something. Even when we were dirt poor, she made me homemade play dough as a kid. Over the years I have dabbled in lots of mediums and had some successes (as well as some failures too). Now, I used to fret about not focusing on one medium and mastering it. I used to think that if I had chosen one medium, say photography, at a young age and stuck with it that today I would be a master. Yeah, and if I had saved only %5 of the money I have made since I was 16, I’d be rich too.

I think I will forever be a “student of everything and a master of nothing”. Always trying to learn more, to expand my view of the world. Now since I figure I have at least 30 maybe 40 more years on the planet, here are three forms of artistic expression that I would like to study before I die.

1) Learn to play the guitar.
Having spent most of my life living with a musician has been a wonderful treat. There is nothing quite like the sound of a cello played in the next room on a lazy Sunday afternoon. When we first started dating I dabbled a bit in trying to learn how to play the upright bass, I could follow instruction and memorized where and how to place my fingers, but I did not understand the flow and tone of music. I could not “feel” the instrument. Someday I’ll have the patience and focus required to learn this.
2) Study Architecture
Yes, I think this is an art form and the one I know the least about. However I am fascinated by it. I really love those buildings that use non-traditional components, like residential homes made of steel or the green roof movement.
3) Learn to Sculpt.
I think this will be my next endeavor. I love to work with my hands and am drawn to the idea of touchable sculpture. There is something really powerful about the idea of capturing the perfect curve of a lover’s hip or the shape of her spine and immortalizing it in stone, forever.