Friday, August 26, 2005

OK, I just got some really bad news today and I must share it.

Remember that wonderful farm we stayed at after Shibaricon? Remember how I told you about Echo and her homemade ice cream and how wonderful she was to two show weary strangers? Well I just got word that she was struck by a car while jogging. Echo was training for the NYC marathon and was hit by a car and seriously injured. She is badly hurt and is lucky to be alive right now. She is now facing a long, 4 month or more, hospital stay.

I must say that when I read the original message my heart sank; I have only known Echo for a few months but in that time I found her to be a vibrant, brave and amazing woman. One of those people you don't ever forget the first time you met them.

I first met Echo when we were planning the great Shibaricon road trip. When the call went out that we were driving cross country and needed places to crash, she was the first to volunteer. I asked her why she offered Griffin and I lodging and her response was simple, I only want to say thank you. And she did just that. She was gracious, funny, and feed both our tired bodies and souls with all manner of home cooking.

Since then we have stayed in contact, exchanging emails and even discussing her coming out to Seattle to attend the recent Abbey party. She wanted to go eat seafood on the pier and ride around the city in the sidecar. I wanted to introduce her to all my friends so they could put a face to “that really cool girl from Wisconsin” I kept telling them about. Sadly that never happened and now, I am just thankful that she is alive and on the mend.

I know she is reading this in her hospital bed right now so please join me in sending her you heart’s wishes for a speedy recovery, but let me do more than that.

Echo, you get better and I promise to bring you out for your own “welcome home” party here in Seattle.

Rest now and get better, the world needs you.