Thursday, November 02, 2006

For those in the literary know, November is “NaNoWriMo” or National Novel Writing Month. The challenge is to see if a person can write a 50,000-word novel in one month’s time. While I know several folks who have taken this challenge over the years, I must confess that I’m not about to try it. Nope, I know myself too well. I enjoy the act of writing; this just sounds like way too much stress to pack into an already busy month.

Now my buddy Gray has taken up this unique form of masochism a few times over the years, but this year his genius wife (who I still owe a round of strong drinks and stronger flirtation) proposed a better idea to him this year. GLROMO, or “Global Rope Month”. The plan, 50,000 ft of rope bondage in one month.

Being the world’s largest bondage rope maker, it seemed natural that I just had to help sponsor the contest.


For all the contest details, check out Gray’s website and podcast.

Being the sponsor means I cannot compete for the prizes, but it does mean that I can help contribute to reach the final goal. Looks like I have an excuse to start tying and shooting again. Not that I really needed one, you see, but it always helps. I’m thinking less studio style work and grittier, low-tech stuff sounds like more fun. I’ve done my fair share of “fine art” style photography and think it should be best left to those with the time, talent and lighting budget.

In other rope related news, the “Can Monk Make 10K of Rope in 10 Days” challenge is cranking along. At of the start of day 4, I have just shy of 4K of dyed stock hanging my dry room and another 2K set to go into the dye kettles today and tomorrow. While there is still much left to do to the stock once it is out of the dye, so far it looks like we are ahead of the game (for once).