Friday, March 02, 2007

Some damned creative, and vicious, Spam

I get lots and lots of unwanted email. Spam is an unwelcome fact of life for those of us who use e-mail. Most of the garbage that comes my way I don’t see thanks to a pretty decent hosting company and an aggressive filtering system on my mail client. However some do get through. This one I just had to share. Rather than take the usual tactic of misspelling the names of drugs or imbedding inline images of the false stocks they want to pass off, this one played on some of our oldest human fears. Read it for yourself.

Hi, I hate to be the one to mention this, but people continue to
talk about your weight issue and it just disgusts me. Whether you
know it by now, people are always chattering about each other at
work but you come up more than enough. I wasn't the happiest or
best-fit up until a year ago or so but that did change. Thanks to
my dam brother-in-law(of all people). Anyhow, it was for the best.

What I am saying is that you need to do something different and
maybe you can make the same difference I did. Try this stuff I used.
I took it on the idea it's just more junk but it worked great. I
see more positive reviews on it nowadays and makes me feel even
better. So, I am encouraging a change, not only in the chatter
around here but in you personally.
-Anonymous for now
Using an anonymous email website to send this btw;)
When it helps/works just send a memo out with the name "Angel" in it.
Then you can take me out to lunch to thank you. Talk to you sooner
than later I hope;)

Website---.com


Evil, no? If I were still working in a cubicle farm in corporate America I might have taken a second or two to question the validity of the e-mail. I for one have actually contemplated sending a co-worker an anonymous e-mail to ask them to start bathing more regularly. This is not so far out of the realm of possibility and it plays so well on our unspoken fears… are they talking about me?