Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Blessed Reunion

Got the bike back today, after the accident a friend who runs a bike salvage company rescued my fallen baby while I was being tended to in the ER. How is my vintage BMW? A lost cause you ask? So far gone that I’ll sell it for a song? I’m almost embarrassed to admit this but it is untouched. If I were not sporting a clavicle brace right now, you would not believe that this was the same bike upon which I went tumbling headlong over the handlebars a little over a week ago.

Like a not even a scratch.

Oh and to those who have asked me if I am going to give up the bike now that it has cost me a broken bone? To that I say, hell and no. This is not the first time I have dropped a motorcycle. While in the 14+ years that I have ridden them, this is the worst motorcycle related mishap I have had the displeasure of enduring, this one is not my first and probably not my last. Motorcycles are dangerous, every time you throw your leg over one you are consenting to possibility of injury or worse.

Truth be told, I can’t wait to get back on it and take what happened and learn from it. The goal is to continually improve upon your skills and work to reduce the potential risks. To do otherwise, to flee from it and deem it to be “too dangerous” would be, in my opinion, responding out of fear and fear, as all good nerds know, is the mind killer.