Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Demands of Working for The Monk

I’ve gone on before about the strange and wonderful thing it is to have employees now. Most days I love having help in the shop and each one has transformed the company in their own unique ways. They can be a stressful nightmare some days. The worry about making sure there are enough sales to cover their payroll, the drive to provide a better, safer workplace can make me long for the simpler days when it was just me in my garage. Thankfully those days are rare.

Then there are days like today. I really like Tuesdays at the Abbey, we have our full crew in the shop today. When I came back from a particularly delightful lunch meeting, Nerdy (my long suffering and invaluable assistant) announces. “We need cupcakes and we need them now.” And proceeds to hand me a list.

“The Abbey worker’s union list of cupcake demands
Nerdy: Vanilla w/ Lemon Frosting
Ghetto Pony: Chocolate with Pepermint Frosting
P3: Chocolate with Orange Frosting
The Llaminatrix: Vanilla with Vanilla Frosting (how is that for kinky?)”


And what did I do? Me the triple booked boss? The guy with too many things to do today and not nearly enough time to get it all done? Yeah, you guessed it. I shrugged, turned heal and headed of to the nearest Cupcake Royal. Hey, what can I say? It is way cheaper than giving them a matching 401K!

Speaking of minion, one of my crew is finishing his demo reel and is looking for bands that want to get some professional studio recording done for free. In his own words, “I already have plenty of hard rock and metal for the reel, but need acoustic or more classical stuff to round out the mix. All the work will be done in a fully decked out, professional studio.” So if you are in Seattle and want to lay down some tracks, drop me a line and I’ll forward your info on.

It just occured to me that we have some new faces here at the Abbey you have yet to meet. Perhaps this is a good topic for another podcast? Hmm...

Labels: ,