Saturday, October 27, 2007

What the hell am I doing at the Abbey at 2 am on a Saturday morning? No this is not a post about some late night shenanigans, sure my workshop has played host to many a pre-dawn adventure, this is not one of those posts. Nope, I’m here trying to finish a birthday gift. See, we were a dye job behind schedule. While a problem, not an insurmountable one. I often use the quiet of the weekend to get caught up on such things. Reveling in the novelty of having the entire shop all to myself again, just like back in the old days.

However this will not be the case this particular weekend.

See, it is my dearest Tambo’s birthday this weekend and I wanted to give her something truly unique. Something that as of yet, I have found no way to buy, make or steal. More precious than diamonds, something that, when given, holds great value.

My time.

To her, this weekend, I give her my most precious asset, my complete and undivided attention. However, in order to give this gift I needed to pull an all nighter. Promises to customers must be kept as well as the promises to my employees. And so, as I type this the last of this errant batch of black rope drips dry behind me. Soon I will inspect it for flaws and once satisfied, wheel the rack of damp rope into my drying room to cure over the weekend.

With that last act, I now go offline for the next 48 hours. I shall return to this rope, and to you dear readers, on Monday.

Till then, happy birthday my sweetest love. Thank you for sharing me with the rest of this madness I call my world and doing it with such grace and humor. You are my center, my foundation, my paladin and best friend. I cannot do what I do with you.


Oh and for those of you who think I'm being a cheap bastard just taking the weekend off to hang out with my wife, I also got her a new X-box 360, Halo 3, and Guitar Hero 3. Let the Nerding begin!