Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The obligatory new years resolutions post

Welcome to 2008, please take off your shoes so we don’t track any of 07 onto the new carpet. So, resolutions time again? Hmm, what to say what to say? The obvious ones seem a bit on the weak side, get in shape? Done, 4 days a week at the gym will do that. Find love? Having several significant relationships some makes for maddening schedules, but I would not trade them for the world. Grow my business? Ya know I am really, really happy with where we are and the crew I have. Yes, there are new avenues to expand into and many who have yet to hear our name, but all told I got a rocking little crew and really like what we have built.

So rather than make “resolutions” for things that I wish to change in the new year, here are some goals, both personal and professional, that have been on my mind as we end the year and look forward to a new one.

10 things Monk wants to accomplish in the new year (in no particular order)
Extend affordable health care benefits to the part-time members of my crew
Offer a 401k plan These top two are ambitious and cause me more than a bit of anxiety, requiring quite a bit of extra work on my part. However, the employer that I want to be should provide more than just a paycheck.
Dance More ok, I stole this one from alex, but I think it is cool
Expand the charitable arm of my company and sponsor more educational and community resources. I’ve always said that it is not enough to just sell to a community, one must also give back. I’m very proud of what we accomplished last year on this front, but feel we can do more.
Finish building my gawd damned fucking machine. What can I say, some projects just need finishing.
Three words, “More Youtube Videos”
Do more performance and photo rigging In my heart of hearts I am an actor and really enjoy this however I just do not have the time to setup photo shoots, rig, shoot, and process images. Rather I’m hoping to collaborate with other photographers and models on this one. Funny, no sooner had I started mulling this idea when I was approached by a kink community site asking if I would like to show off said photography. Funny how the universe works.
Replace my faithful, yet near dead car. My little sidekick has happily risen to every challenge I could toss at it over the last 9 years. From lugging lighting equipment to movie sets to braving snowfall so that I can rescue a stranded love, but alas it soon will need to be recycled.
Learn how to relax and enjoy being spoiled by a lover. Man do I suck at this.
And last but not least, maybe a new tattoo.

As with all goals, some will be easier than others. Some will fall by the wayside while newer, more important ones arise. The important thing is to get them out of my brain and into the universe. The first step in creating the life you desire is stating just what it is you hope to accomplish and be willing to fail miserably in the pursuit of it.

Labels: