Saturday, April 13, 2013

A nazi, riding a rather well hung t-rex

So, this happened.  I had no plans to make this, but as Isaid before, this garden project is all about spontanious bursts of creativity.  In face, soon as Ican get this last bed done and rock in, I'm off to another project.  A clay oven, but that will need to wait till this damn busted ankle of mine heals.

Like I said, this happened. 

It is Friday afternoon, Im at the grocery store waiting for a perscription to be filled.  Bored, I found my way to the toy isle looking at the plastc toys.  Nothing really making my creative radar go off.  Anyone else have this happen to them?  You could look at a dozen amazing, innterestng things in a day and not feel it, but then there is that one thing.  Could be an obscure object or perhaps an object you have never seen before and BAM! The ideas just begin to explode in your head.  For me, it is like seeing not the object, but rather seeing a myriad of lines, connecting the object to other objects or modifications, each line interlinking to another element, till you dont see the original object anymore, all you can see is what is will become. 

Sculptors talk about how they do not carve the stone into the shape they want, but rather they see what shape the stone wishes to be and work to free it from the stone.  Ihave yet to have the experince of looking at a solid object and seeing what shape it can be deconstructed inito.  I'm more of a, how can I build upon this kernel and expand it?

Wow, got metaphysical there for a sec huh?

Like I said, this happened.

Tossing aside the plastic safari animals and various dreck in the grocery store toy section, I was about to give u when we spotted it, a T-rex.  Next thing knew it had be being ridden by a Nazi.  This is a both an homage to game I love, Hollow Earth Expedition, as well as a long running joke amonst my friends. 
Rather than melting the army man's legs into position, I opted to just cut off his torso as well as a few of his squad mates, and glue the bits back into a relative semblance of a body in a saddle.  I've painted a few pewter gaming minatures so I know Ican make him look appropriatly Nazi enough for the garden.
Thing about my sense of humor? Good laughs always come in threes. Like my last piece, you had tentacles, in a garden.  Funny, but not enough, it needed something more. Another ironic element.  Hence, a tentacle, in my garden, fighting barbarians.  Hence, the giant penis.

Like I said, this happened. 
A sex toy reviewer frend somehow got thier hands on a number of tiny, silicone fantasy dildos.  Don't ask.... trust me.

Only real issue I had with this was attaching the penis.  Seems silicone and hot glue do not mix.  Not to worry, I just drove a scre into about where I thought a T-rex might consider his taint and used wire though the said tiny, fantasy dildo.  Plus side? The dino cock is now articulated, if I ever felt the need to pose it in different positions?

Once I see how well it fairs the rain, I'll see about some detail painting and maybe making another one.

The plant is is guarding is broccoli rab, a sort of cross between traditional broccoli and a field green.  Never grown it before, but it looks tasty.  I'm hoping to make something like kale chips with them. Mre info
http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/broccoli-raab/broccoli-raab-spring-prod000614.html