Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Monk’s Week Off Blog Project: Day 3

When I originally hatched this idea, I wanted to gather a number of different voices. Voices that both know me intimately as well as voices that only know a limited part of me. With that I sought out the aid of a regular reader, one of the very early readers in fact. This reader has consistently made interesting and intelligent comments here as well as her own blog is always a delight. So while I go and pick up my new kilt please enjoy, direct from Laramie Wyoming, The Nerdy Girl.

Notes from the Nerdy Girl
On 12/1/04 Monk wrote: I asked you because you do not "know" me in the flesh. Part of this project is, in addition to feeding my ever expanding ego, is to give readers a look at my world from multiple viewpoints. You have a unique viewpoint. You have been reading since almost day one. You own my rope and have communicated with me like this. I'm curious to see what your take on the whole "Monk" thing is.

My take on the whole "Monk" thing…goddamn writer's block. Strike that: goddamn end-of-the-semester blues. There have been at least a half-dozen possible posts forming in my head, but this has got to be good—we've gotten used to Monk's amazing ability to translate the most outrageous or the most mundane into pure blog gold. I'm just the Nerdygirl, it's a good week when I remember to post, and normally that's just the latest academic obsession.

Alright, so how did I stumble upon this mine of swinger / bdsm knowledge, humor and the occasional recipe? Believe it or not, that annoying "next blog" button which normally delivers the unfiltered, misspelled thought flow of high schoolers or something in German, actually landed me right on the front step at this post.

"Ohgoodgoddamn," I thought, "this is going in the blog file." Part of my studies center around the blogging phenomenon so I pick up at least a couple new sites a week—this was one of the few I started reading on a daily basis. When was I hooked? This post, partially because I loved the introduction and partially because it's the best mac and cheese I've ever made. Oh, and Monk in the kilt didn't hurt either…

Then there was this post, or this post. "God save us from the "Self Important Male Top" has almost gotten me in trouble a couple times, and also given me a way to open up about my own kink. On really bad days when I haven't finished the seven projects, three papers and the customers are all but braindead, I go back a read old posts from a handful of blogs. "It's like they all went to the Capitan Kirk School of Topping. "You…WILL…sub…mit. KAHN!!!" " kills me ever time to the point where I have to explain to my co-workers what I'm laughing at.

"So, what are you reading?" they invariably ask.
[short pause]
"Well, Monk works in Seattle making rope, and happens to be part of
the bdsm community."
[Either long pause where they then say, "Ah, that's nice." or shorter
pause where they ask what the rope is for or "What exactly were all
those letters again?"]

Seven months, 135 feet of envy green hemp, and a handful of e-mails later, Monk's still surprising. He has this disarming blend of nice guy and sadist; "nature's protective coloring" he calls it. One day he's devoted lover and humanist, the next he's pondering the most devious scene. This is perhaps what I like most—Monk shares with us not just the sadist badass top but also the knockabout guy. It's a combination that's helped me put down the Nerdygirl persona and let hrough a bit of the Bisexual Double Threat, as my lover calls it.